Dedicated to inspiring children to learn and play, the Port Discovery Children’s Museum will reopen to the public this weekend Saturday and Sunday, October 17 and 18.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum, a nonprofit organization promoting children’s development through fun, structured activities, is making every guest’s well-being, health and safety a priority amid the continuing COVID-19 pandemic.
Here’s what you can expect when you visit the museum:
- Advance Ticket Purchases and Reservations: With CDC guidelines requiring a minimum of 6 feet for social distancing, the museum is monitoring visitor sizes. Tickets must be purchased in advance of your visit.
- Face Coverings: All visitors ages 2 and older must wear face coverings. Medical exceptions must be mentioned in advance by contacting the museum prior to your visit. Mask breaks must be taken outside the building. You may re-enter using your receipt.
- Improved Cleaning Procedure: Staff will be cleaning public areas before, during and after all visits.
- Waivers: Visitors will be required to fill out waivers recognizing their responsibility to public safety while visiting the museum ahead of their visit and complete a questionnaire during the visit.
The museum encourages anyone who may not be feeling well or who may have come into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 to postpone their visit.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum President and CEO Bryn Parchman expressed excitement about reopening. “We know that children need play more than ever. Play is not only the very best way children learn, but it’s also how children cope with stress, stimulate their curiosity and understand how the world works,” Parchman says. “We’ve taken a significant amount of time and planning to develop a thorough reopening plan that focuses on new practices to enhance health and safety for both visitors and staff.”
Once the doors reopen to the museum, visitors will notice that the exhibits available to them will include the Sky Climber and Port exhibits.
According to the Port Discovery website, the SkyClimber and Port activities are enriching learning experiences for children to develop thinking and motor skills.
- SkyClimber: This exhibit has a four-story slide that challenges both children and children at heart to climb up and take the long slide down to the ground (or go down the way they came). Smaller children are able to play in an underwater-themed area below the slide.
- The Port: Kids can put themselves into the shoes of a sailor, an engineer or a captain by participating in activities to discover how goods travel the world and the different structures within a craft moving by water.
Upon reopening, Port Discovery will be making every effort to make learning and play accessible to all members of the Baltimore community, including $2 admission on Community Days. Current prices are set at $17.95 per guest ages 1 and older. Admission for museum members is free, but advance tickets are still required.
More information about museum hours, ticket purchases, reopening and more is available at portdiscovery.org.